Participants enrolled in first aid and / or CPR and AED courses may learn advanced techniques using advanced equipment. Participants in these courses will learn to demonstrate the proper sizing, insertion and follow-up for the use of an oropharyngeal airway. Participants will learn to establish and maintain an open airway using these airways on an unconscious patient. The material posted on this page is for information purposes only. Candidates that want to learn to use a oropharyngeal airway should enrol in first aid and / or CPR training (Mississauga) with a provider near you that includes this advanced component.
To complete the oropharyngeal airway component of a first aid or CPR course rescuers must:
- Correctly select the accurate size of the airway for the patient.
- Appropriately respond to patient not accepting the airway.
- Correctly insert the airway on a manikin (should not be demonstrated, practised or tested on a conscious or unconscious volunteer).
- Appropriately check for airway patency.
- Correctly remove the airway when necessary.
- Deal with complications such as vomiting or patient regaining consciousness.
- Rescuers should be able to demonstrate sizing and insertion on adult, child and infant patients.
- Oropharyngeal airways should only be inserted by persons trained in their use.
- When contemplating between two difference sizes, the rescuer should opt for the larger of the two sizes.
- Rescuers should be able to adapt to patients with spinal injuries and stoma’s.
- If the patient does not want to accept a oropharyngeal airway the rescuer, if no spinal injury is suspected, should place the patient in the recovery position.
To successfully complete the oral airway component of a first aid and / or CPR course participants must have a good understanding of the knowledge and skills posted above. If the components mentioned above are not completed during a demonstrated rescue participants may not complete the course. Learn to use a oral airway by taking a first aid and / or CPR course through a credible provider that offers this advanced training and option.