Overview Of Toxic Shock Syndrome
When the body is exposed to bacterial toxins, this can lead to an inflammatory response in the body. This is called toxic shock syndrome (TSS) and it can be fatal. The most common bacteria that causes this are staphylococcus aureus and streptococcus pyogenes. For women who utilize tampons when menstruating, they are more likely to be those who contract toxic shock syndrome. However, this can affect anyone.
The symptoms of toxic shock syndrome include:
- Having chills and a high fever
- Muscle and joints ache
- Sore throat
- Redness of the skin
- Vomiting or diarrhoea
- Sensitivity to light
There are also those who may faint or collapse. In this case, they need to get immediate medical attention.
Phone Your GP
Call your GP straight away if you have symptoms related to toxic shock syndrome.
Causes of TSS
One of the main causes is for women who utilize tampons. Tampons have been known for causing this, and as this has become more recognized, fewer women have been developing TSS, as they know what to do to prevent this. To prevent TSS from happening with tampons, women should:
- Change their tampon every four hours
- Only unwrap a tampon before immediately using
- Wash hands before and after inserting this
- Insert the tampon with the hands, rather than the applicator
- Avoid tampons altogether and opt for sanitary napkins at night time
Other risk factors include having surgery, having a bacterial infection or recently giving birth.
Those who feel that they have TSS should seek medical attention immediately. There is no at-home treatment to help with this as it needs to be treated with antibiotics in order to remove the infection. The use of broad-spectrum antibiotics has to be used to ensure that this is killed off, and is usually given via IV’s to ensure that it is effective. For women, tampons should be removed immediately to ensure that this does not get worse or create other issues. In situations in which there is a surgical area that is the cause for this, it will often have to be drained to remove the infection.
If you get toxic shock syndrome, you’ll probably have to stay in hospital. You will:
- Be given antibiotics while specialists determine the reason for the infection
- Receive medicine to calm your blood pressure and liquids if you have dehydration
- Receive supportive treatment get rid of all your symptoms
The pollutants created by the strep bacteria and associated hypotension might lead to kidney failure. You might require dialysis if your kidneys fail.
Related Video On Toxic Shock Syndrome
Leave a Reply